The Committee for Public Information (TJNK) is an expert body attached to the Ministry of Education and Culture. It follows progress in various fields of research, arts and technology and the development of knowledge in Finland and abroad. The Committee was established by government decree on 13 January 1972.
The Committee for Public Information coordinates and promotes the publication of information.
- Make proposals and initiatives for the Ministry of Education on different ways of promoting the dissemination of information in Finland, issue statements on matters related to its field, and instigate debate on matters related to its field
- Make an annual proposal to the Ministry of Education and Culture on granting State Awards for Public Information
- Award targeted grants for public information
- Prepare a purchase subsidy proposal for libraries to buy high-quality, low-circulation non-fiction literature
- Conduct research and studies in the area of public information
- Promote education in scientific communication and non-fiction writing
- Perform the other tasks set by the Ministry of Education and Culture
As an expert body, the Committee for Public Information is able to influence the objectives and operations of the Ministry and scientific organisations.
The present term of the Committee for Public Information covers the period from 1 June 2018 to 31 May 2021. The composition is presented on the Members page.
For more information about the Committee, see the government’s project register (HARE).